As some of you may know, purchasing a pair of cast iron urns for your front landscape is not cheap endeavor. A quality set could run upwards of $500 of your hard earn dollars. Many of my clients leave their urns out in the elements 365 days a year and these beautiful pots can take a real beating.
Once the pots were loaded up, I stopped at several hardware stores to look at spray paint samples to match the existing color and finish on the urn. It was nice to have the pots with me so I could compare the spray caps to the pots right away in the parking lot. I also thought it was important to properly prepare the base metal so I invested in 2 can of Rust-oleum Rusty Metal Primer in a gray color in addition to 3 cans of Rust-oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2x in Satin Almond. *Pictures below are for reference, not actual colors used
Once back at the office, I set up my painting station outdoors on the covered deck on the south side for bright lighting and good air flow. I used newspaper and cardboard scraps to protect the deck. Next, I lightly hand sanded the rusty spots on the urns to remove loose paint and smooth out the surface so the finish would appear more even. I applied two light, even coats of primer where needed, letting them dry an hour in between. This is what the pots look like after sanding
Make sure the pots are at room temperature or warmer. Using light coats is key because thick coats will run and not dry evenly. Don't rush this process. If you're in a huge hurry, having a fan to move the air around will speed up the drying process by half. Here is one of the urns after 1 coat of Almond.
I let the urns cure for 48 hours so that the paint wouldn't smudged or chipped during transport. Once I had these babies back on my clients front porch, the real fun began. I used winter evergreen cuttings, gold fruit and red accents to dress up the containers for the season and added a matching wreath on the front door. The final effect was elegant and welcoming for all her holiday parties. Hope this helps! -M